It’s June already and the days are getting warmer!
June is a great time to potter in the garden and tend to your grow-your-own crops.
Tasks to enjoy in June include:
- Hoe to reduce weeds and improve soak up
- Keep greenhouses ventilated on hotter days
- Start harvesting salads
- Protect carrots from carrot fly using mesh to at least 18″ off the ground
- Harvest early potatoes and take care not to pierce or damage tubers
- Start to feed tomato plants weekly once the first trusses have grown
- Thin out beetroot plants and add the discarded leaves to salads
- Protect fruit from birds using netting
- Tie in raspberry and blackberry canes
- Plant out vegetable seedlings including; brussel sprouts, cabbage, broccoli, courgettes, marrows, pumpkins, squash, cucumber, runner / french beans, fennel, kale and celeriac